Sunday, July 25, 2010

10 days and counting . . .

Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you.

Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.


It's almost here! I'm jump, jump, jumping for joy!

Okay, okay... I'm actually sitting on a couch. But my heart is jumping!

Only 10 days (and lots of work) between me and the plane ride that will take me to a country that is looking for the Light.

It's been a little over two months since I wrote about a new opportunity... Those two months have flown by and I know these next ten days will go by even faster. During these past two months, I've had the chance to tell many people about my upcoming trip to Haiti. Some have asked what I'll be doing, some have asked what can they do to help. Honestly, when I said I would go, I literally had no idea what I would be doing or what people could do to help.
But, dun dun dahhhhhhhh - now I do!

Hmmm, let me rephrase that: I have a good idea... but let's be honest, who knows what could happen.

So here goes. Our team [seven college students, my friend Mark and me] will be in Haiti for 7 days. The teams that have already gone this summer have worked with different churches, which usually have schools associated with them. They've been doing different ministry with children and young adults, playing games with children and showing everyone the joy that Christ has given us. I can't wait to be apart of this and start this adventure the Lord has paved the way for!

People from my church and work have asked what they can collect for me to take and so we've come up with a few supplies and things that we can give to the kids while we are there. So here goes: Bandaids, Alcohol Wipes, Candy (not anything that will melt - I'm going to hot, hot, hot Haiti people!=), Crayons, SillyBands, Balloons, JumpRopes.

Of course not everyone lives close enough to send me off with silly bands and alcohol wipes. So, what else can you do? You can p-r-a-y, PRAY. You can pray for specific things like getting to the airport safely or for our interactions with the people we will meet with during our trip or that I won't die in the swelllterrring HEAT. Kidding about the last one. I've got that one COVERED=)

I am so thankful for this trip; thankful for the things God has already shown me and for the things I know He will show me.

My heart is open. Come and fill me up.


4 comments:

loveneverfailsyou said...

praying for you!!

Anonymous said...

God speed!

Madie said...

Rachel, I love you and your personality. Thank you for sharing this. Excited for you and can't wait to hear about it. Praying...

Unknown said...

thanks to all=)

and Madie, do you REALLY love my personality or are you just saying that because of a certain picture message I sent you this week?! bahahaha=)