Saturday, June 12, 2010

no... freedom is not free.


Sometimes I have to be put into direct contact with something to understand and appreciate it more deeply. (I hope that makes sense...)

For me, appreciating our military came truly only after my brother Caleb joined the Marines. I had always been thankful for the service and sacrifice but honestly, I never realized (and probably will never fully realize) the great sacrifice that it entails.

When our family visited Parris Island back in April, I was so glad that Caleb had made it through the dreaded boot camp experience that he had written in letters to us about. But that gladness was also shadowed with fear because although he was finished, that meant that he was one step closer to the possibility of being deployed somewhere that puts him into danger. Suddenly, everything became a little more real.

the few. the proud.

I just finished watching Pearl Harbor for probably the fifth time... but the first since Caleb became one of those men that could soon be fighting for our country. I couldn't help but cry realizing that this movie wasn't just an idea someone had created in their head and put onto screen, but rather an actual event that cost many their lives. Today I was reminded how much I need to pray for our country, our leadership, and my brother.

Recently, I attended a Memorial Day service and one of the speakers there read a poem called "Freedom Isn't Free". I'm once again reminded of these words.


Thanks to all who serve our country so courageously.

1 comment:

Liondese said...

beautiful blog well done

http://homebuyingtips.blogspot.com