Tuesday, July 21, 2009

me + desk job = bad

This morning when I woke up at 6:30 little did I know what was in store for me today.

One of the things I love about my job is that it is constantly changing from day to day. There are responsibilities I have but its not a set schedule like from 8:30-8:45 do this and 9:00-12:00 do that. I like having a different schedule everyday.

Last week, we upgraded our database we use for just about everything in our Marketing Department. Now I'm not talking about a simple upgrade... actually we went from version 4 to version 12 (stick with me here, I will not dwell on the tech side of things too much because its just as over my head too). So with this upgrade comes lots of new features that will be helpful with doing all sorts of reports, scheduling, etc.

Going from version 4 (ancient) to version 12 (shiny and bright) requires alot of "computer time". I thought I didn't mind spending time on the computer but I guess that was just because I was reading realsimple.com, looking at photos on facebook or reading blogs.

So when I put myself in front of my computer this morning determined to get all 167 apartments entered with the correct resident, I was being a little too ambitious. Oh, and did I mention that I get a little bit o.c.d. about projects like this? I am. Well about 6 hours later I was ready to claw my eyeballs out and couldn't mentally or physically focus on anything. And the worst part about it? I'm not finished. So going into work tomorrow I know that this little machine will be waiting to laugh in my face and overtake my day.

you don't look too bad, but deep-down, on that cold hard-drive of yours, i know, you are not my friend.

Actually, I was wrong. That is not the worst part. The worst part is that I am tempted to begin working on it right now at 10:48 p.m. on a Tuesday night instead of going to sleep.

No comments: