Tuesday, October 27, 2009

in the kitchen.

I've never been a big fan of carrots. So when one of my sisters made them recently, I told her I was not interested in trying her portion of the potluck. She told me just to try them because she hadn't liked the little orange veggies until she started baking them in the oven. So I tried them.

And fell in love.

And now I blame her for my craving that I had today.

I forgot to bring a lunch this morning. This is pretty normal habit but usually something I can snack on. Well not today. So by the end of the day, I was STARVING. Out of all the things the food companies of America creates, do you know what I was craving???

Cream of Carrot Soup.

Do they even have recipes for cream of carrot soup!? I did not know. So I googled it. And they do.

CREAM OF CARROT-CHEDDAR SOUP

2 tbsp. butter
1/2 c. finely chopped onion
1 lb. carrots (8-10), shredded
1 lb. potatoes (3-5), shredded
6 c. broth, vegetables or chicken
1/2 tsp. thyme
1 bay leaf
Salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 c. milk (may use part cream)
1-2 c. cheddar cheese, shredded

Saute onion in butter in large soup pot. Add all but milk and cheese and simmer until vegetables are tender. Add milk and cheese, stirring until cheese is melted. Discard bay leaf. Serve hot with parsley sprinkled over.

That sounded easy enough. So I gathered the ingredients that we had (I don't follow directions always) and then I realized something, it says shredded potatoes. In all my 23 years, I have never shredded a potato. In fact, I did not know how to shred a potato. Do you cook it and then shred it? So again, I googled it. And so I peeled raw potatoes and shredded them on a shredder (there is probably a name for this utensil I used, but I do not its name.) After shredding the carrots and getting the other ingredients ready to simmer in the pot, I went for it. I cooked as the directions directed and wahhh-laa.

It was the one of the most unappealing soups I've ever seen.

So decided that I should blend it, thinking that this would at least make it look a little more tasteful. ehhhh. It worked all right. Not anything that you would see on Martha Stewart.

I ate it and it wasn't too bad. Maybe it just takes practice. I do not know. Maybe I will never have another craving for cream of carrot soup, because really who craves CREAM OF CARROT SOUP?

No comments: